We conducted a survey of saltmarshes north of Cape Cod to determine if decapod crustaceans were responding to recent ocean warming trends. We have shown that crabs, notably fiddle crabs and blue crabs, are expanding their range northward in response to warmer ocean temperatures. Information from this project will allow managers to understand changes to saltmarsh communities and function releated to climate change.
- Johnson DS. 2015. The savory swimmer swims north: A northern range extension for the blue crab, Callinectes sapdius? Journal of Crustacean Biology 35:105-110
- Johnson, D.S. 2014. Fiddler on the Roof: A northern range extension for the marsh fiddler crab Uca pugnax. Journal of Crustacean Biology 34(5): 671-673
- Daily Press (VA) – Blue crabs in the Gulf of Maine a sign of climate change? http://www.dailypress.com/news/science/dp-nws-blue-crab-maine-20150316-story.html
- The Science World Report – The tasty blue crab may be creeping north with climate change. http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/23116/20150309/tasty-blue-crab-creeping-north-climate-change.html
- Yale e360 – Blue crabs are moving into Gulf of Maine’s warming waters, study says. https://e360.yale.edu/digest/blue_crabs_are_moving_into_gulf_of_maines_warming_waters_study_says/4382/
- Chronicle Herald (Nova Scotia, Canada) – Clare Mellor – Blue crab spotted off Nova Scotia coast. http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1274224-blue-crab-spotted-off-nova-scotia-coast
- Daily News (MA) – A blue visitor: Biologist finds southern crabs in local marshes. http://www.newburyportnews.com/news/local_news/a-blue-visitor-biologist-finds-southern-crabs-in-local-marshes/article_07b69f78-cb2d-575a-be92-0e1692cd902f.html
- Gloucester Times (MA), Southern blue crab reaches North Shore’s Great Marsh. http://www.gloucestertimes.com/news/local_news/southern-blue-crab-reaches-north-shore-s-great-marsh/article_7193238b-929e-53cd-a13c-a79ab4195edf.html
- The Wildlife Society, Blue crab population spreading northward. http://wildlife.org/blue-crab-population-spreading-northward/
- News: Fiddler on the Roof? Northern Extension of Fiddler Crabs' Range May be Sign of Climate Change. December 3, 2014.