The Department of the Interior and the U.S. Geological Survey have made it a priority to train the next generation of scientists and resource managers. The Climate Adaptation Science Centers (CASC) and consortium institutions are working to contribute to this initiative by supporting and building a network of students across the U.S. interested in the climate sciences and climate adaptation. The purpose of this project is to support the development of a national early career communication platform to facilitate and increase information sharing and networking across the CASCs and consortium institutions. This will be accomplished by working with the Early Career Climate Forum (ECCF), a CASC-supported science network dedicated to improving research practice through communication and collaboration. Project goals include expanding the existing ECCF website, adding services such as a regular blog, email list-serve, database of members, regular national newsletter, training modules for CASC retreats and bootcamps, and a webinar series, all directed towards the advancement of early career scientists in the field of climate change science and adaptation.
The expanded and redesigned Early Career Climate Forum (ECCF) is now accessible here.
The new ECCF website and related products include a climate-focused blog with weekly posts from regular and guest writers; an interactive discussion board on climate, adaptation, and early-career focused discussion for members; information on career resources including climate-related job boards, listservs, professional development resources, fellowship opportunities, and writing and communication tools.
The ECCF also maintains an email listserv that allows dissemination of information to members about new research, funding opportunities, and career resources. Climate-related career resources, webinar announcements, requests for proposals, or communication tools can be shared with the ECCF community by sending an email directly to the ECCF listserv: firstname.lastname@example.org. Those interested in joining the listserv or that have questions can contact the ECCF at email@example.com. Recently, we completed a community survey of the ECCF and prepared a report of the findings for NE CASC Director and NCCWSC. We have made arrangements to migrate the ECCF website from NKN to a UMass server, which will reduce hosting costs over the long term.
Early Career Climate Forum
A website designed to provide a space for those for early career professionals and students engaged in the climate-related science and outreach to interact, discuss topics and find climate-relevant resources.
- January 1, 2017. Presentation on ECCF updates, M. Staudinger
- Michelle presented to the weekly NCCWSC and CSC USGS staff call on the continued support of the ECCF.
- January, 2016. Presentation on the success of the ECCF to date, University and Federal Directors, M. Staudinger
- Northeast Climate Science Center, March 2016, "Leveraging Web-Based Platforms such as the Early Career Climate Forum to Enhance Climate Change Communication and Engagement", E. Markowitz, M. Staudinger.
- NE CASC Fellows Highlight of Meaghan Guckian features ECCF project blog posts. December 3rd 2018
- News: Secretary Jewell Announces new Wildlife and Cilmate Studies at the NE CSC. December 18, 2014.