We improved downscaling of general circulation model (GCM) data for climate change impacts assessments in the Lake Champlain Basin as part of the VT Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR). This effort investigated the potential for using high-resolution topographic data to further downscale existing bias-corrected and statistically downscaled GCM simulations of temperature and precipitation. We found large changes in several impact variables of relevance to the region, including hot days, cold days, maple syrup production, and cooling degree days.
This project evaluated local projected changes in climate across, as well as drives high-resolution hydrologic and ecological models for, the Lake Champlain Basin.
- L. Ortiz, J. E. González, R. Horton, W. Lin, W. Wu, P. Ramamurthy, M. Arend, and R. Bornstein (2019). Ortiz LE, González JE, High-resolution projections of extreme heat in New York City. Int J Climatol. 2019;1–15. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.6102
- Winter, J.M., B. Beckage, G. Bucini, R.M. Horton, and P.J. Clemins, 2016: Development and Evaluation of High-Resolution Climate Simulations over the Mountainous Northeastern United States. J. Hydrometeor., 17, 881–896, https://doi.org/10.1175/JHM-D-15-0052.1
- Coffel, E., and Horton, R. 2015. Climate Change and the Impact of Extreme Temperatures on Aviation. Weather, Climate, and Society, 7(Anderson 1999), 94-102.
- Winter, J. M., Beckage, B., Bucini, G., Horton, R. M., & Clemins, P. J. Guilbert, J., Beckage, B., Winter, J. M., Horton, R. M., Perkins, T., & Bomblies, A. (2014). Impacts of projected climate change over the Lake Champlain basin in Vermont. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, (2014).
- Barsugli, Joseph J., Guentchev Galina, Horton Radley M., Wood Andrew, Mearns Linda O., Liang Xin-Zhong, Winkler Julie A., Dixon Keith, Hayhoe Katharine, Rood Richard B., Goddard Lisa, Ray Andrea,Buja Lawrence, and Ammann Caspar. 2013 The Practitioner's Dilemma: How to Assess the Credibility of Downscaled Climate Projections. Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union, 94(46), 424-425.
- Horton, Radley, and co-authors, "Con Edison’s Climate Change Vulnerability Study: A Partnership between A Utility, Consulting Firm, and Academic Partnership:", AGU, December 13, 2018.
- "Projected ecological impacts of extreme events in the Northeast", New Canaan, CT, April 23, 2018..
- Coffel, E. Economic impacts of more frequent weight restriction on the aviation industry. AMS.. New Orleans, LA. January 10-14, 2016
- Horton et al. AGU invited talk, "Joint Hazard Assessment for Urban Decision-Makers in the Northeastern United States." American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, December 14-18, 2015.
- Coffel, E. Climate change and the impact of extreme temperature on aviation. ICNS 2015, Washington, DC. April 21, 2015.