Previous approaches to quantify coastal vulnerability to sea-level rise have had major shortcomings, including the possibility that their underlying assumptions are not uniformly valid. This project conducted a study to distinguish the differing ways that coastal areas of the northeastern U.S. will respond to sea-level rise. This information will be used to develop a scientific research and decision-support program that addresses the cross-cutting and unique problems in these areas related to climate change and sea-level rise.
For more information, visit this USGS project page: Coastal Landscape Response to Sea-Level Rise Assessment for the Northeastern United States
E. Thieler, Robert, Plant Nathaniel G., Gesch Dean B., and Horton Radley M., 2014. A research and decision support framework to evaluate sea-level rise impacts in the northeastern U.S. Final Report to the NE CASC
- Lentz, Erika E., E. Thieler Robert, Plant Nathaniel G., Stippa Sawyer R., Horton Radley M., and Gesch Dean B. 2016. Evaluation of dynamic coastal response to sea-level rise modifies inundation likelihood. Nature Climate Change
- Masterson, John P., Fienen Michael N., Thieler Robert E., Gesch Dean B., Gutierrez Benjamin T., and Plant Nathaniel G. 2013. Effects of sea-level rise on barrier island groundwater system dynamics - ecohydrological implications. Ecohydrology
- Northeast Climate Adaptation Science Center, February 2014, "Sea-level Rise, Coastal Change, and Decision Making in an Uncertain Future", R. Thieler, N. Plant, B. Gutierrez, E. Lentz, M. Fienen, J. Masterson, D. Gesch, S. Stippa, K. Gieder, S. Karpanty, A. Hecht, R. Horton, A. Milliken, K. McGarigal.
- Woods Hole Research Center, Cape Cod and Islands Climate Change and Energy Conference, September 2013, "Sea-level rise and coastal change: likely impacts and possible responses", R. Thieler. (in-person presentation)
- Presentation at Northeast Regional Oceans Council Meeting, November 2013: "A Research and Decision Support Framework to Evaluate Sea-Level Rise Impacts in the Northeastern U.S." E. Lentz, R. Thieler, N. Plant, S. Stippa, D. Gesch, and R. Horton.
- Webinar to North Atlantic Landscape Conservation Cooperative Coastal and Marine Technical Team, February 2013: "Research and Decision Support Framework to Evaluate Sea-Level Rise Impacts for the U.S. Atlantic Coast" E.Lentz, N. Plant, R. Thieler, A. Turecek.
- Northeast Coastal Response to Rising Seas. April 20, 2016
- Evaluating the Coastal Landscape Response to Sea-Level Rise. March 4, 2015.
- NE CSC Project Completed. April 28, 2014.
- Northeast Climate Adaptation Science Center, April 27, 2016, "A Research and Decision Support Framework to Evaluate Coastal Landscape Change", Erika Lentz.
- University of New Hampshire, ICNet, February 2014, "Forecasting Coastal Impacts Using Uncertain Sea-level Rise Projections", R. Thieler, N. Plant, B. Gutierrez, E. Lentz, M. Fienen, J. Masterson, D. Gesch, S. Stippa, K. Gieder, S. Karpanty, A. Hecht, R. Horton, A. Milliken, K. McGarigal.