We use Webex to offer the Northeast Climate Science Center Colloquium lectures as webinar events. This allows remote participants to view, hear, and participate in each event!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARTICIPATION:
To log in for the first time, please start the set-up process at least 5 minutes before the beginning of the event.
- Quit all other unnecessary applications before logging into Webex
- Go to the talk description page (click on title in left sidebar or in box to the right) and click on the direct webinar link provided. Direct links will be posted as the events are scheduled with Webex.
- Click "Join as a participant" or "Join" and enter your email address.
- Webex should automatically start to download the required software onto your computer. If prompted, "allow" the download to proceed.
- Once you have entered the meeting, a dialogue box will appear asking how you would like to handle your audio. If it doesn't automatically open, go to the "Quick Start" tab and click on the "Audio" icon. If your computer has speakers, please join using your computer (you may also choose to join through a toll call, but it will cost both of us money). Your microphone will be automatically muted upon entering the session so that other users won't hear you (note red mic picture next to your name). Please don't un-mute your mic unless instructed to.
- If you are joining after the meeting has begun, the full screen mode of the presentation may appear on your screen. To exit the full screen mode temporarily, hover over the green button at the top (reads: "Viewing [speaker]'s presentation") and a control panel will appear. You may use this to exit the presentation at any time. To return, click "return" in the dialogue box that appears.
- If you have trouble signing in with the link provided, locate the meeting number (listed below the direct link) and insert it on the Webex Attend a Meeting page.
- If you continue to experience problems, call Webex customer service at 1-866-229-3239 (option #1, then option #2), and they will help you to join.
- Currently, Google Chrome version 13 is not compatible with Webex - try joining through Firefox or Internet Explorer.
- Your computer's download speed should be 1.3-1.5 and can be tested at speedtest.net
- To ask a question, type it into the text chat area, located in the lower right corner of the Webex main screen.
- While in full screen mode, you may choose to open the chat box through the controls at the top of your screen (hover over the green "Viewing..." button).
- You may use the chat box for technical questions or those related to the presentation. Please select "Everyone" from the drop down menu.
Webex works with a variety of computer platforms. System Requirements can be found here.